Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Networking Your Way to a Federal Job

It can be difficult to network yourself through to a Federal job, but not impossible. A simple but not often exploited concept that I like to recommend is called informational interviewing.  An informational interview is a means to obtain advice, information and referrals through short conversations with ‘warm leads’ or people you know to understand the hidden job market.  (It is NOT an opportunity to ask for a job.)  What are you asking for in an informational interview?  

      What job series should I target in my job search?
      Do you think my qualifications fit my job objectives?
      Is my resume strong enough to get referred to hiring managers?  If not, how can I improve it?
      What are the opportunities in this agency for someone with my background?
      What are the “hot” issues with which you are dealing now?
      Is there anyone else you can refer me to who could help me learn more about X agency or X field?

Your goal is to expand your networking by meeting new Federal employees and asking them to refer you to their colleagues.  The more people you know (and who know you), the more effective you will be in you Federal job search.

For more information on transforming your background into a magnificent Federal resume that attracts the attention of HR, visit us on the web at www.FederalJobResults.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment