- Apply using www.USAJOBS.gov:
- Most of the jobs are available on this website. There are a small number of agencies that are not on USAJOBS.gov and they can be found on our website under Federal Resources (http://federaljobresults.com/
- They are looking for Self-Assessment Questionnaire responses, Key Words, and a well-written Federal Resume
- They will put you into one of three categories: Not Qualified, Minimally Qualified, Best Qualified. You want to be in the Best Qualified category.
- The top applicants (in the Best Qualified category) will move forward to the next step, which is to be “referred” to the hiring official for consideration.
- Applicants whom the hiring manager wants to interview will be contacted. Generally, the interview will be a panel with three to six individuals asking behavioral-based interview questions. It is a test – and very competitive – so be prepared!
- Once you are interviewed and they decide they love you, the federal HR team will generally extend a tentative job offer. You will have to complete a background check and possibly go through a security clearance, depending on the position. The extent and type of check will depend on the level of security of the job. This is the one and only time you can negotiate your salary and your vacation time.